General Business Licenses

Attention Business License Applicants:

As of May 10th, general business licenses for the City of Puyallup are being processed by the State of Washington Business Licensing Service (BLS). The City of Puyallup no longer accepts general business license applications or renewal payments.
Please refer to the contact information below for license applications or renewal payments submitted after April 25, 2018.

Call Center:  1-800-451-7985


Most business licensing inquiries will fall within the following guidelines. If your type of business does not meet these guidelines call us at (253) 841-4321.  We will be more than happy to assist you with your business licensing needs.

Retail Businesses

If your business is located inside the city limits you will need a General Business License. If your business is located outside the city limits, you may contact Pierce County at (253) 798-7445.
If you are unsure whether your address is a City of Puyallup address or a Pierce County address you may call the City Clerk's Office at (253) 841-4321 for an address verification.

Contractors & Sub Contractors

If your business is based inside the city limits you will need a General Business License.  If you operate your business from your home, it may be necessary to have you submit a Home Occupation Application as well.  If so, you will be notified in writing.  The Home Occupation Application is available below and includes a list of conditions you must meet in order for that application to be approved.
If your business is based outside the city limits and you have work inside the city limits you will only need a General Business License. 

Home Based Businesses

If you are operating a business out of a residence within a residential zone, then you may need to obtain a Home Occupation Permit before your City of Puyallup business license can be approved. If you answered “yes” to the question “Is the physical address of the business in a residence?” on your business license application, then you must submit a Home Occupation Questionnaire to the Planning Division to determine if you must obtain this permit. Once reviewed, you will receive a written determination as to whether you need to obtain the Home Occupation Permit. If you are required to obtain this permit, the application can be found here. The cost of a home occupation permit is $140. Any questions regarding the home based business application process should be directed to the Planning Division at or (253) 864-4165 (#3 Planning). 

General Business Information

The business license fee is a yearly fee based upon the number of employees: full time, part time, owners, managers, and supervisors.

If your business is located outside the city limits and you are conducting business within the city limits, then your fee will be based upon the number of employees working inside our City limits.

The City of Puyallup business license year runs January 1st through December 31st, or other 12 month period as may be applicable.  However, BLS may adjust the term and prorate accordingly as necessary in some cases.  For example, BLS may adjust the term to align the expiration date of the Puyallup business license with other license renewal dates that apply for a business, so all licenses renew at the same time.

Penalties of $250 will be assessed for any business operating without a license.

Licenses not renewed within 120 days after expiring, are automatically terminated.  In these instances, a new application would be required to continue business in Puyallup.

Business License Documents