When you’re shopping online for gifts, remember to be careful with personal information. Follow these cybersecurity tips when you shop:
- Connect with care. Do your online shopping at home, and make sure your wireless network is protected.
- Set strong passwords and change your password often. Don’t set passwords that will be easy for cyber criminals to guess.
- Shop online through trusted retailers to avoid getting scammed.
- During the holidays, scammers may send fake emails that are too good to be true. Don't click on links!
Stay Alert in Parking Lots
- Be patient when looking for a parking space.
- Park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
- Don't leave anything valuable in your car.
- Lock your vehicle.
- Make a mental note of where you parked.
- Have your keys in hand when walking back to your vehicle.
- Look around your vehicle before approaching it.
- Store shopping bags out of plain sight, in your trunk if possible.
- Look for other cars or people, and back out slowly.
Inside Shopping Centers
- Keep your purse close to your body or your wallet in an inside coat pocket or front pants pocket.
- Don't argue or fight over an item.
- Don't take your money out until asked and don't flash a lot of cash.
- Use only one credit card. Data breaches have occurred in the past at major retailers and credit card companies. Should something similar occur, you can reduce the risk of having multiple cards compromised.
- Save your receipts and monitor your credit card activity by reviewing your bill immediately.
- Ask for help moving and loading large items if needed.
- If shopping with children, select a central location to meet in case you are separated. Teach kids how to ask a security guard or employee for help if they're lost.