Puyallup 101: Your Community's Civics
“This has been an eye-opening course. Glad to learn about how the City is ran and how it contributes to the well-being of its residents.” - Program participant, 2020 class
Come Learn About Your Local Government
Have you ever wondered how the City operates? How does it maintain streets and parks? Manage the budget? Make decisions?
If so, we encourage you to register for this free eight-week civics course. Puyallup 101: Your Community’s Civics will provide insight into the workings of the City. You’ll gain a strong understanding of the organizational structure and operations of City departments, and you’ll also learn how you can become involved and make an impact in this place we call home. Community discussion and input is encouraged.
- Offer a behind-the-scenes look into how City departments operate and how decisions are made.
- Foster communication between the City and residents, businesses and non-profit organizations.
- Learn about your Council representatives and their experience and goals in office.
- Encourage community members to become actively involved in decisions that affect Puyallup’s quality of life.
- Be a Puyallup resident, business owner, or work in the city.
- Be 18 years or older.
- Must not be running for, or currently serving in, a political office.
- Must be willing to commit to attending at least six of the eight classes to receive a certificate of completion.
Spring 2022 Class Schedule
All classes are from 6:00 to 7:30 pm on Thursdays, for eight weeks. This course will resume in-person for the Spring, beginning Thursday, April 21, 2022. The course schedule is below.
|Class Date||Class Topic||Presenting Department|
|04/21||Local Government 101 / City Finances||City Manager's Office / Finance / Mayor|
|04/28||Maintaining our City||Public Works|
|05/05||Where Your Water Goes||Water Pollution Control Plant|
|05/12||Building and Planning for our City||Development & Permitting Services|
|05/19||Keeping our Community Safe||Police Department|
|05/26||Justice within the Community||Municipal Court|
|06/02||Our Community Services||Library / Parks & Recreation|
|06/09||Preparing and Responding / Course Graduation||Emergency Management|
**Please note that not all classes will be held at City Hall - some classes will be held off-site at other City locations (e.g., Public Safety Building, Water Plant), so adequate transportation is required. All locations have sufficient on-site parking.