Design Review & Historic Preservation Board
- 4:00 p.m.
- 1st and/or 3rd Thursday, as needed
- Puyallup City Hall*
333 S Meridian
5th Floor, Room 504
Puyallup, WA 98371
*Due to the Governor's orders related to public gatherings and the Open Public Meeting Act during the COVID-19 pandemic, the City is providing a hybrid meeting option which will allow for attendance in-person or by remote access via internet and phone using Zoom conferencing. Please refer to the front page of the applicable meeting agenda packet for Zoom login information.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
The Design Review and Historic Preservation Board is comprised of 7 members. The members are appointed by the City Council and serve four-year terms. The Board currently meets as required in response to development applications. The current members of the Design Review and Historic Preservation Board are:
- Kristopher Stamon (Chair)
- Andy Anderson
- Les Gerstmann (Vice-Chair)
- Davida Sharpe-Haygood
- Wes Perkinson
- Joe Colombo
- Sloan Clack
- 2 members directly associated with applicable construction trades (e.g. contractor, structural engineer, developer, etc)
- At least 1 member shall have special expertise/training in historic preservation and/or shall be affiliated with a historic preservation organization
- At least 2 registered architects
- Other members who shall either be associated with local interest groups (e.g. downtown merchant, arts group) or in a related land use/design discipline (e.g. realtor, historic preservation specialist)
The Design Review and Historic Preservation Board is a decision-making body that reviews and renders decisions on qualifying applications submitted to the city. The Board reviews the following types of projects:
- Projects in the CBD, CBD-Core, and RM-Core zones for conformance with the adopted Downtown Design Guidelines, in accordance with PMC 20.26.050. Qualifying applications include:
- New Buildings
- Exterior alterations, redevelopment or additions to existing building (excluding exterior signage and mechanical equipment that does not substantially alter the exterior appearance or condition of the building) that affect:
- Twenty-five percent of an exterior elevation that is a street- or alley-facing facade; or
- Fifty percent of an exterior elevation that is facing a side lot line or adjacent property; or
- Buildings constructed prior to 1949 in the CBD and CBD-Core zones only.
- Innovative sign design review (PMC 20.60.090)
- Design review of new structures over 4,000 square feet in the Mixed-Use Design Review Overlay (MX-DRO)
- Review and provide recommendation to the Director regarding heritage tree permit decisions (PMC 20.58.025)
For information regarding Design Review or Historic Preservation, contact Administrative Assistant Michelle Ochs, or at 253-841-5485.