2013 Clarks Creek Elodea Management
2013 Project Overview
Diver-assisted Suction Harvesting (DASH) was the main method for elodea removal planned for 2013. In this process, divers enter the water from pontoon-type boats, using surface-supplied air. The divers hand-pull the elodea from the stream, and feed it into a suction hose. The plant material is suctioned to the surface of the water, into mesh bags located on the boat. When several bags are full, they are each transported to the shore, and removed from the project site. This process reduces the fragmentation of the elodea, and completely removes the plant from the stream so it cannot re-plant itself, or grow back.
This process was modeled after similar successful DASH projects in Thurston County, WA and New York.
Permit applications included for the 2013 in-stream work window in the DASH project include:
- Shoreline Substantial Development Permit (City of Puyallup)
- State Environmental Policy Act project review (City of Puyallup)
- Hydraulic Project Approval, HPA (WA Fish & Wildlife)
Also planned for the 2013 project was removal of accumulated rocks under the 56th Street E and Stewart Ave E bridges. It is believed these rocks have been pushed into the water over the years by vandals, creating a restriction to the creek flow at those locations.
2013 Project Details
The in-water work window for 2013 was June 17-August 14 - discussions with the Puyallup Tribe of Indians and positive results from the in-water work have resulted in the Tribe granting a 13-day extension of in-water work, into August in support of completing a fully-managed project area. The elodea management in 2013 was be completed primarily by a Diver-Assisted Suction Harvesting (DASH) method. The work began in targeted areas of the creek, and generally work in a downstream direction. Below are daily summaries of the work progress as well as to maps and exhibits of the project:
Map of the 2013 DASH Target Areas
Map of DASH Areas Cleared, by date
Graph of Clarks Creek elevation data, 2012 & 2013
Rock removal included in the 2013 work was complete as of 08/03/2013.
- 08/13/2013 - Continued in Alt #6/7. Daily totals: 380 LF & 300 bags. Totals to-date: 14,555 LF & 16,005 bags
- 08/12/2013 - Continued in Alt #6/7. Daily totals: 200 LF & 300 bags. Totals to-date: 14,175 LF & 15,705 bags
- 08/08/2013 - Continued in Alternate Area #6/7. Daily totals: 200 LF & 200 bags. Totals to-date, accounting for actual work completed in-the-field: 13,875 LF & 15,405 bags.
- 08/07/2013 - Completed Alternate #2/3, and continued in Alt #1/2 & Alt 6/7. Daily totals: 550 LF & 350 bags. Totals to-date: 13,275 LF &15,205 bags.
- 08/06/2013 - Completed Alternate #8/end, and continued in Alt #6/7. Daily totals: 450 LF and 500 bags. Totals to-date: 12,725 & 14,855 bags.
- 08/05/2013 - Working in Alternate #8/end and #6/7. Daily total: 450 LF and 600 bags. Totals to-date: 12,670 LF & 14,355 bags.
- 08/03/2013 - Rock removal at Stewart Ave E bridge completed. Approximately 25-35 CY of rocks removed.
- 08/02/2013 - Working in Alternate area #8-end; Daily total: 500 LF, 500 bags removed. Totals to-date: LF & bags.
- 08/01/2013 - Rock removal at 56th Street E bridge was completed; approximately 10-15 CY of rocks removed. DASH worked suspended during rock removal activity for the day.
- 07/31/2013 - Working in Alternate #8/end & 6/7. Daily total: 400 LF, 360 bags. Totals to-date: 11,325 LF & 13,255 bags.
- 07/30/2013 - Completed Alternate area #5-6, working through Alt #8-end. Daily total: 500 LF, 500 bags. Totals to-date: 10,925 LF & 12,895 bags.
- 07/29/2013 - Working in Alternate area #8-end and Alt #5-6. Daily total: 550 LF, 450 bags. Totals to-date: 10,425 & 12,395 bags.
- 07/26/2013 - Complete Alternate area #4-5. Daily total: 250 LF, 200 bags. Totals to-date: 9,875 LF & 11,945 bags.
- 07/25/2013 - Returned to Target Area #8 & finished remaining 220 LF. Daily total: 220 LF, 220 bags. Totals to-date: 11,745 bags, 9,625 LF.
- 07/24/2013 - Completed Target Area #8. Daily total: 200 LF, 180 bags. Totals to-date: 11,525 bags, 9,405 LF.
- 07/23/2013 - Continue in Target Areas #8 and Alt#4-5. Daily total: 200 LF, 180 bags. Totals to-date: 11,345 bags & 9,205 LF.
- 07/22/2013 - Continued in Target Areas #8 and Alt #4-5. Daily total: 350 LF, 200 bags. Totals to-date: 11,165 bags & 9,005 LF.
- 07/19/2013 - Continued in Target Areas #8 and Alt #4-5. Daily total: 200 LF, 250 bags. Totals to-date: 10,765 bags & 8,655 LF.
- 07/18/2013 - Began work in Target Areas #8 and Alt #4-5. Daily total: 750 LF, 600 bags. Totals to-date: 10,515 bags & 8,455 LF.
- 07/17/2013 - Completed Target Area #7, and the Alt #1-2. Daily total: 450 LF, 400 bags Totals to-date: 9,915 bags & 7,705 LF.
- 07/16/2013 - Work continued in Target Areas #2 & #7. Daily total: 575 LF, 600 bags. Totals to-date: 9,515 bags & 7,255 LF.
- 07/15/2013 - Completed Target Area #2, continued through Target Area #7. Contractor was awarded Alternate Bid Item A, which covers DASH in the remaining areas of the creek not yet cleared (everything outside of the "Target Areas"). Daily total: 575 LF, 400 bags. Totals to-date: 8,915 bags & 6,680 LF
- 07/12/2013 - DASH continued in Target Areas #2 and #7 today. Daily total: 550 LF, 100 bags of elodea. Totals to-date: 8,515 bags & 6,105 LF.
- 07/11/13 - Totals to-date: 8,415 bags & 5,555 LF - work continuing!
- 07/10/13 - Totals to-date: 7,915 bags & 4,755 LF
- 07/09/13 - Totals to-date: 7,415 & 4,405 LF
- 07/08/2013 - Totals to-date: 6,915 bags & 4,305 LF. Target Area #5 approx. 750 LF not yet cleared due to limited visibility into the water, contractor moving to area 6-will return to TA #5 when visibility improves.
- 06/27/2013 - Began work in Target Area #5, working in a downstream direction; Daily total: 260 LF, 560 bags of elodea. Totals to-date: 2,815 bags & 2,310 LF.
- 06/26/2013 - Target Area #4 completed today, area just downstream of Pioneer Bridge. Daily total: 300 LF, 380 bags of elodea. Totals to-date: 2,255 bags & 2,050 LF.
- 06/25/2013 - Work continued upstream of Pioneer bridge. Target Area #3 complete. Daily total: 770 LF, 300 bags of elodea. Totals to-date: 1,875 bags & 1,750 LF.
- 06/24/2013 - Work began upstream of Pioneer bridge, working downstream. Daily total: 300 LF, 730 bags of elodea. Totals to-date: 1,575 bags & 980 LF.
- 06/21/2013 - Work began at Pioneer bridge, working upstream. Daily total: 270 linear feet, 400 bags of elodea removed. Totals to-date: 845 bags & 680 LF.
- 06/20/2013 - DASH operations began in target area #3, finished at DeCoursey Pond outlet. Daily total: 210 linear feet, 270 bags of elodea removed. Totals to-date: 445 bags & 410 LF.
- 06/19/2013 - Boats in the water near 7th Ave SW; DASH work began today. Daily total: 200 linear feet, 175 bags of elodea removed.
- 06/18/2013 - Contractor mobilized.