What is Domestic Violence?
Domestic violence is about power and control. Batterers use the power they have to establish control within an intimate relationship. They use a pattern of behaviors to intimidate, manipulate and physically violate their partners.
Are you a victim of domestic violence?
Are you currently living with or dating someone who:
- Is jealous and possessive toward you and doesn't want you to have other friends or interests?
- Accuses you of flirting and checks on where you've been and who you've spoken to?
- Tells you jealousy is a sign of love?
- Tries to control you and makes all the decisions
- Insults you in public and in private?
- Criticizes the way you dress, act, and your interests?
- Seems to lack his/her own interests and be overly dependent on the relationship?
- Destroys your belongings?
- Threatens to hurt you, your family members or pets?
- Touches you in a way that is frightening or painful?
- Makes you have sex in ways or at times that are uncomfortable for you?
- Blames you for the abuse?
- Threatens you or threatens suicide when you want to break up or see other people?
If you answered YES to any of the above questions, you and your loved ones could be in danger.
You are not alone
You are not to blame
You do not deserve to be abused
Help is yours for the asking