PLANNING COMMISSION WORK
The Planning Department began working with the Planning Commission in 2013 to update the City’s Comprehensive Plan. Work with the community began with a June, 2013 open house and survey to establish a community vision. Approximately 30 work sessions were held with the Planning Commission to update and draft eleven of the Comprehensive Plan Elements. Following those work sessions, a Public Hearing was held on July 8, 2015, and the Planning Commission’s recommendation to City Council was made on July 27, 2015.
CITY COUNCIL ACTION
Between August, 2013 and March, 2015, three study sessions were held with the Puyallup City Council regarding the Comprehensive Plan update. The City Council held a public hearing on September 22, 2015, to consider the first reading of an ordinance adopting the 2015 Comprehensive Plan Periodic Update. On November 10, 2015, City Council passed second reading of an ordinance for the Comprehensive Plan Update.
UPDATED COMP PLAN DOCUMENT**
A complete updated Comprehensive Plan document*:
· Update of nine existing Elements (Foundations, Natural Environment, Land Use, Housing, Community Character, Transportation, Utilities, Capital Facilities, and Downtown Neighborhood Plan);
· Addition of one new Element (Economic Development);
· Removal of one Element (West Hills Neighborhood Plan); and
· Note: Two recently updated Elements (Parks Recreation and Open Space Plan, 2014 and River Road Corridor Plan, 2011) are included in the final document but remain unchanged. The South Hill Neighborhood Plan Policies also remain unchanged, pending further Planning Commission work.
*To view the final Comprehensive Plan Elements, click here.
Associated land use and zoning map amendments:
· Redesignation of all West Hills Neighborhood Plan (WHNP) parcels to Low Density Residential (LDR) land use (existing zoning of Low Urban Density Single Family Residential (RS-10) remains the same);
· Removal of the Commuter Rail Station Center boundary; and
· Removal of land use overlay designations, including Agricultural, Open Space, Open Space/Ag, and Village Node Overlays.
Two privately-initiated Comprehensive Plan Map Amendments:
· P-14-0077 – Puyallup School District (501 7th St SW): APPROVED
The Puyallup Schools District (PSD) requested to amend the designation of one PSD-owned parcel, from Low Density Residential (LDR) land use and Urban Density Single-Family Residential (RS-06) zoning to Public Facilities (PF) land use and zoning.
· P-14-0081 – Abbey Road Group/Cascade Christian Schools (903 25th St SE):DENIED
Abbey Road Group, on behalf of Cascade Christian Schools, requested to amend the designation of one parcel from Low Density Residential (LDR) land use and Single Family Residential (RS-08) zoning to Auto Oriented Commercial (AOC) land use and Community Business (CB) zoning.
Please be aware that one component of the Comprehensive Plan, the South Hill Neighborhood Plan (including text, map, and code amendments) is still undergoing Planning Commission review; therefore, it was not part of City Council’s consideration of the Comprehensive Plan. Staff’s intent is for Council to review the South Hill Neighborhood Plan package at a future date.
**Updated Comprehensive Plan is pending Puget Sound Regional Council (PSRC) certification.