Catalog & More
Microsoft IT Academy
Welcome to the Washington State Library Microsoft IT Academy through the Puyallup Public Library. The IT Academy offers hundreds of technology courses on three levels: basic digital literacy skills, Microsoft Office Skills, and advanced skills for IT Professionals. Learn on your own computer at home, on your laptop using WiFi, or on an internet computer at your library.
Free access to the Microsoft IT Academy is reserved for Washington state residents and library users, and is offered through a partnership between Washington libraries, Microsoft, the Washington State Library, Office of Secretary of State and the Washington State Legislature.
Step 1: Your Microsoft Account Log-in
You will need to have a Microsoft Account (formerly called a Windows Live ID) in order to use Microsoft IT Academy. The IT Academy’s eLearning platform supports existing Microsoft Accounts, such as those from Hotmail.com, Outlook.com, Live.com, or an Office 365 account. If you have one of these accounts, you already have a Microsoft Account.
If you do not have any of these accounts, you must create a Microsoft Account associated with a valid email address:
- Go to https://signup.live.com and Sign Up
- Complete the required fields
- Scroll to bottom of page and click "I Accept"
- Check your email account and follow the steps in the email to confirm your Microsoft Account. If you did not receive an email, check your Junk Mail and Spam folders in case it was misrouted.
Tip: You will need to use the same email account you used to sign in when you access your courses in the future. Be sure to keep this information safe.
Step 2. To Sign in to IT Academy for the First Time
The first time you login to the Microsoft IT Academy eLearning site you will need to complete your user profile. You will only need to do these steps once! Every time after that, you will you log in and quickly access and resume your courses.
- If required, login with your Microsoft Account.
- Fill in the fields and continue. You'll now have access to Microsoft training materials by clicking "Browse".
- The Puyallup Public Library has already set up a Basic Computer Skills Learning Plan for those new to computers. You may choose to start here and then browse all of the courses available.
Returning IT Academy Users
Returning user sign in - Click here and resume your in progress learning
Courses Offered by Microsoft IT Academy
Hundreds of courses are offered by Microsoft IT Academy, covering everything from computing basics to professional certification courses. Here is a brief list of some of the more popular courses:
- Digital Literacy
- These courses help you learn the essential skills to begin computing with confidence, be more productive at home and at work, stay safe online, use technology to complement your lifestyle, and consider careers where you can put your skills to work.
- Office 2010 and Office 2013
- Word, Excel, Outlook, OneNote, PowerPoint
- Windows Server and Exchange Server
- SQL Server and ASP.NET
- Visual Studio
- Microsoft Dynamics
Microsoft Certification demonstrates that you have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to productively use the Microsoft product. In order to receive Microsoft Certification in a specific Microsoft program, you must pay for a test and take it at a Certiport Testing Center. Information about certification, test costs and testing centers can be found online at www.certiport.com.