Tax Information & Assistance
Starting February 7th and continuing through April 12th, the AARP Tax-Aide program offers free one-on-one counseling to help individuals prepare basic tax forms, including the 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ and other standard schedules. For further information, please visit AARP's Tax-Aide website.
AARP Tax-Aide services will be available at the Puyallup Public Library beginning FEBRUARY 7TH and ending on APRIL 12TH. No appointments are required; this service is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Tax-Aide will be at the Puyallup Library on the following days of the week:
- Fridays from 1:00 - 4:00 PM
- Saturdays from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Things to know:
- This service is offered by the AARP Foundation and its volunteers, and is not a library service. Library staff cannot help you file your taxes.
- Returns are completed by volunteers trained by the AARP Foundation and IRS.
- All returns will be filed electronically.
- This service is intended for seniors and low/low-middle income taxpayers, not business or investment earners.
- You do not have to be an AARP member or a senior to use this service.
- An official sign-up sheet will be available about 30 minutes before the stated opening time. No advance or phone-in resevations will be taken. Large numbers of people are expected!
Not sure what documents you need to bring with you?
AARP Tax-Aide asks that you bring:
Copy of previous year tax return. If necessary, contact the IRS for a copy of last year's return.
W-2 forms from each employer.
All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-misc., etc.) showing interest and/or dividends as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets.
If you were paid Social Security benefits, bring your SSA-1099.
If you received a pension or annuity, bring your 1099R.
All forms indicating federal income tax paid.
If applicable, unemployment compensation statements.
Child care provider information (name, employer ID, SSN).
If itemizing deductions, bring all receipts or canceled checks for items such as medical expenses, taxes paid, mortgage interest paid, and charitable contributions.
Social Security numbers for all dependents.
AARP Tax-Aide will also be available at the Puyallup Activity Center on Tuesdays from 1:00 - 5:00 PM (starting February 4th and closing on April 8th). Appointments are required - call 253.841.5555.
Online Tax Resources
Internal Revenue Service - Find and print tax forms and instruction for this year, as well as previous years. You can also find information about how to file, tax laws, or locating professionals to help you with your taxes.
Washington State Department of Revenue - Find information on filing and paying state taxes.
Where's My Refund? - Are you expecting a refund on your federal taxes? The IRS's website can help you get your personal refund information and track it.
Tacoma, WA 98402
Monday - Friday: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Tax Forms in the Library
The IRS is no longer mailing booklets or forms to individuals. While the Puyallup Library will have many of the most commonly used forms and instruction booklets, you can download tax forms and publications from the IRS's website.At this time, the IRS does not have an estimate as to when products will become available in print.