The National Weather Service has issued an a Heat Advisory from 11 a.m., Saturday, July 12 to 6 a.m., Monday, July 14. Temperatures are expected to be in the upper 80s to low 90s on both Saturday and Sunday, continuing into next week.
The City of Puyallup would like to remind everyone to stay out of the heat as much as they can, stay hydrated, and to take advantage of cooler air in public buildings such as movie theaters, local malls, and other large stores.
In response to scorching temperatures, the air conditioned South Hill Mall located at 3500 S.Meridian, Puyallup 98373 will serve as a Cooling Center. The Mall will remain open from Monday – Saturday, between 10 am - 9 pm and on Sunday from 11 am – 6 pm.
Tips for Preventing Heat Related Illnesses
A Heat Advisory means that a period of sustained hot temperatures is expected. The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity can combine to create a situation in which heat illnesses are possible.
Here are some tips to protect yourself and your pets from heat exhaustion:
- NEVER leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle.
- Drink more fluids (nonalcoholic), regardless of your activity level. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink.
- Stay indoors and, if at all possible, stay in an air-conditioned place. If your home does not have air conditioning, go to the shopping mall or public library.
- Electric fans may provide comfort, but when the temperature is in the high 90s, fans will not prevent heat-related illness. Taking a cool shower or bath, or moving to an air-conditioned place is a much better way to cool off.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.
- Although any one at any time can suffer from heat-related illness, some people are at greater risk than others. Check regularly on:
- Infants and young children
- People aged 65 or older
- People who have a mental illness
- Those who are physically ill, especially with heart disease or high blood pressure.
- Never leave your animal chained or penned up directly in sunlight. Provide a shady area for retreat and always provide cool water.