Tom Swanson moved to Puyallup at 11 months-old. Raised by two Puyallup school teachers, he and his wife Meredith (a lifelong Puyallup resident) believe this is the perfect community to raise their sons Henry and Bennett.
Tom attended Spinning Elementary, Kalles Jr. High and graduated from Puyallup High School in 1997. Immediately after graduation, he served five years in the U.S. Navy, including two deployments to the Persian Gulf and being recalled for Operation Noble Eagle. During his time in the Navy and following, Tom earned degrees from Green River Community College, Southern Illinois University and a Master’s from Troy University.
Tom has worked in the legislative process for several years. He served as staff in the Washington State House of Representatives and as an assistant to Pierce County Council member Joyce McDonald. Currently he works as a legislative analyst for Pierce County Council. As a member of the community, Tom served on the Board of Directors for the Puyallup/Sumner Chamber of Commerce, the City of Puyallup Fire Merger Task Force and the City of Puyallup Planning Commission.
Tom currently serves on the following boards and committees:
- Community Organizations Funding Review Committee
- LOEFF I Pension Disability Board
- The One Another Foundation
- Puyallup Chapter of the Association of the United States Army
- Government Affairs Committee of the Puyallup/Sumner Chamber of Commerce
- Rainier Communications Commission
- Argus Manor Association Board
Tom's current term began January 1, 2016.