Steve Vermillion has demonstrated a lifelong commitment to service, community and family. Steve has served his various communities by volunteering for many local charity events and service organizations. He is currently the President of the Vietnam Dustoff Association, President of the Distinguished Flying Cross Society NW Chapter, Member for the Washington Chapter of the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association, is a VFW Life Member, a Life Member of the Dustoff Association, and a Life Member of the Vietnam Veterans Association. Steve also is a Board Member of the Puyallup Hatchery Historical Foundation , serves as a Good Samaritan Reading Mentor in the Puyallup School District and assists St. Francis House when needs for his services arise.
Steve is a graduate of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, received his master's degree in Business Administration from Saint Martin’s University and later completed additional post-graduate studies at the University of Washington. A major part of Steve’s career has been the completion of 25+ years in the US Army where he served as an Army Aviator, Commander and Staff Officer throughout the United States and overseas. Serving in Vietnam, he was awarded both the Silver Star and the Distinguished Flying Cross awards for heroism.
Steve’s commitment to education and learning were reflected in his teaching positions as an Adjunct Instructor teaching graduate courses for twelve years for Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and as the Professor of Military Science at the University of Washington for four years. From his teaching experience, he opened his first business working as an independent consultant and organizational trainer.
Steve and his wife Lori have been married for 43 years. Throughout all of their travels and responsibilities, they have raised two children, both of whom graduated from Puyallup schools, and they now have two grandchildren. When Steve and Lori are out walking, they are normally accompanied by Hank, their Rhodesian Ridgeback hound.
Steve’s personal objective is to strive to make a difference in Puyallup through hard work, community involvement and good listening skills. He wants to ensure the citizens of Puyallup have a safe and prosperous community in which to live and raise their families.
His committee and sub-committee assignments are:
- Pierce County Regional Council
- Pierce County Regional Council 2013 Budget Committee
- Pierce County Regional Council 2014 Transportation Committee
- Puget Sound Regional Council-Growth Management Committee (2012-2014)
- Puget Sound Regional Council-Transportation Committee (2014)
- Zoo-Trek Board [Point Defiance Zoo and Northwest Trek]
- Pierce Transit Board of Commissioners-Vice Chair
- Pierce Transit Executive and Finance Committee-Chair
- Pierce Transit -Citizen Transit Advisory Group [CTAG] Selection Committee
- Public Transportation Boundary Area Committee 
- Member of the Puyallup City Task Force for PT circulator routes within Puyallup
- LEOFF Board Member
- Puyallup/Sumner Chamber of Commerce Military Affairs Committee
- AUSA Sub chapter Member
- Clarks' Creek Elodea Task Force Member
- Committee for State Auditor's 2012 and 2013 City Audit
- Council Representative for the Puyallup Trout Hatchery Coalition
Steve's first term began January 1, 2012.