Serving the City of Puyallup and City of Milton
! NOTICE !
Puyallup & Milton Court Lobby is CLOSED.
the court is still open and available by telephone, mail, live chat and email.
PUYALLUP MUNICIPAL COURT
MILTON MUNICIPAL COURT
In the interest of public safety during the COVID-19 crisis,
All in person hearings will be reset and rescheduled by the Court to a future date to be determined or rescheduled for a virtual or telephonic hearing, with the exceptions set set forth below and outlined in Administrative Order 20-07.
The exceptions include:
- First appearances on DUI or DV designated charges;
- In-custody hearings (via video);
- Any hearing set to determine compliance with orders of pre-trial release. The hearings will be set to a Monday, Wednesday or Friday at 2 pm and appearance will be allowed by telephone or by video when possible;
- Any hearing set upon judicial determination of an emergent need. Appearance will be allowed by phone or video when possible;
- Any hearing set with agreement of the parties and upon judicial approval.
- **For any in person appearances, face coverings will be required and social distancing measures will be in effect.**
- Infractions may be contested or mitigated by mail or e-mail (see below)
- No jury trials will be held until at least the July term. All matters previously scheduled for jury trial will be rescheduled to a date to be determined in the future. Any delay in time for trial will be deemed an excluded period per CrRLJ 3.3.
What if I have to file a document with the court?
The court will accept filings by e-mail to Courts@ci.puyallup.wa.us during the pendency of this order.
What if I need to pay a ticket or fine?
Payments and correspondence may be left in the Court’s drop box located outside the clerk’s office. Do not leave cash payments. Payments can also be made online or by calling Ncourt. If you cannot pay a ticket or fine, please call the clerk’s office at (253) 841-5450 to learn about other options such as setting up a payment plan or receiving an extension.
What if I had or want a hearing to contest or mitigate my ticket?
No in person infraction hearings will be held until further order of the Court. Rules relating to the scheduling of speedy hearings are suspended.
Mitigation hearings or contested hearings may be conducted by mail or email where requested. The court may also schedule remote hearings.
Click here for more information.
What if I have an appointment with my probation officer or case manager?
All probation and community court appointments are to be conducted telephonically.
As always, wash your hands often, avoid touching your face, and cover coughs and sneezes. Additional guidance on how to protect yourself and others is available from Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department.
MILTON MUNICIPAL COURT operational changes in response to COVID-19
All hearings will be reset, with the exceptions set forth below per, all currently scheduled court hearings will be postponed and rescheduled by the Court to a future date to be determined. The exceptions include:
- No jury trials will be held until at least the July term. All matters previously scheduled for jury trial will be rescheduled to a date to be determined in the future.
- All in-custody matters. All in-custody hearings will be conducted on Tuesdays at 10:00 a.m., unless otherwise directed by the court;
- All hearings set to determine compliance with orders of pretrial release, including but not limited to, the surrender of weapons, installation of ignition interlock and mandatory alcohol monitoring, will be conducted on Tuesdays at 9:30 a.m.;
- Infraction hearings by mail; and
- Any hearing set upon judicial determination of an emergent need.
Supreme Court Order Closure
During this state of emergency, it may become necessary for courts in these counties to close, relocate. or otherwise significantly modify their regular operations.
Monday - Friday
1:00 pm-4:30 pm
The Court will be closed on the following dates in 2020:
- New Year’s Day, January 1st
- MLK Jr. Day, January 20th
- Presidents Day, Feb. 17th
- Memorial Day, May 25th
- Independence Day, July 3rd
- Labor Day, September 7th
- Veterans Day, November 11th
- Thanksgiving, Nov. 26-27th
- Christmas, Dec. 25th
The Municipal Court is a court of limited jurisdiction that hears only cases involving :
- Criminal misdemeanors
- Gross misdemeanors (domestic violence offenses, assault, shoplifting, DUI, etc.)
- Traffic infractions
- Parking violations that occur within the City of Puyallup or City of Milton
- Photo Infractions that occur within the City of Puyallup
The Municipal Court utilizes a program called OCourts to generate electronic court orders. The court will provide defendants a hard copy of their court orders, however, we encourage attorneys to sign up for OCourts so that orders can be emailed to their office, this request can be made by submitting an email request to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Small claims cases, civil cases, name changes, anti-harassment orders, etc. are handled at Pierce County District Court.
For cases involving felony criminal cases, divorce, child custody matters, bad credit, and probate are handled at Pierce County Superior Court.
Court proceedings are open to the public and accessible. Parties interested in viewing hearings should contact the court to verify session times.