Freeman Road Annexation
The "Freeman Road" area is an area within the City of Puyallup’s Urban Growth Area (UGA), comprising 134 acres, bound by Valley Avenue NW, Freeman Road and N. Levee Road. It is an island of unincorporated land, surrounded by Puyallup, Fife and Edgewood.
On October 16, 2019, the City received a notice of intention to commence annexation proceedings from a landowner within the Freeman Road annexation area. That submitted notice provides signatures of property owners representing more than 10% of the total assessed value of the proposed annexation area, which is the requisite first step in initiating an annexation process under the direct petition method.
Puyallup City Council met with the annexation petitioner during their meeting on Tuesday, December 10th, and passed a resolution accepting the proposed annexation area, requiring simultaneous adoption of zoning regulations and an assumption of city indebtedness.
City Council’s action did not approve the annexation, but authorized circulation of the annexation petition, which allows the petitioner to move forward and collect petition signatures and the City’s Planning Commission to work on pre-annexation zoning. The petition was issued to the annexation proponent on January 29, 2020. The petition requires signatures from property owners representing a minimum of 60% of the cumulative assessed valuation of the properties within the annexation area. The signatures must be captured within 180 days from the time of the first petition signature. Please see the Annexation Status section for the current status of the annexation petition.
The City of Puyallup received the 60% Annexation Petition containing signatures from property owners within the Freeman Road Annexation area. The Pierce County Assessor-Treasurer’s Office issued a Declaration of Sufficiency for the annexation petitions on June 4, 2020. The sufficiency declaration means that the County Assessor’s found that the petition contains valid signatures of petitioners that own sixty percent of the land within the annexation area, which is measured by the assessed valuation of the subject properties. On January 27 and February 10, 2021, the Puyallup Planning Commission held a public hearings on pre-annexation zoning for the annexation area, which is a required step in the annexation process. The Puyallup City Council will held a public hearing regarding pre-annexation zoning and passed first reading of an ordinance approving the annexation on February 23, 2021. More information on the public hearings is provided below. Please see the process graphic above for the anticipated timeline for the annexation process.
Virtual Public Hearings/Meetings
Three public hearings have been held associated with the Freeman Road Annexation. There is another upcoming meeting and a public hearing related to the annexation. Please see below for hearing dates and a short description. Additional information on what was considered at each public hearing and how to participate can be found on the public hearing webpages linked below.
- January 27, 2021 (Jan. 13th hearing postponement): The Planning Commission considered and provided a recommendation to the City Council on the application of city zoning designations for the entire annexation area. Application of the Agricultural Overlay zone was also considered for two parcels in the annexation area. Please see the meeting webpage for more information.
- February 10, 2021: The Commission will consider proposed amendments to the City’s municipal code for a new zoning overlay: Freeman Road Overlay. Amendments to the zoning map will also be included, which are consistent with the proposed code changes.
- February 23, 2021: The Puyallup City Council will accept comment on the proposed Freeman Road Annexation and conduct a public hearing on the proposed zoning and overlay designations proposed for the annexation area. State Law requires the City Council to hold two public hearings on pre-annexation zoning. The Feb. 23rd public hearing will be the first hearing; the second hearing is anticipated April 6, 2021.
- March 23, 2021: Puyallup City Council will consider second reading of an ordinance regarding the draft proposed code text for the proposed Freeman Road Overlay Zone. Please see the City Council agenda packet for zoom log in information, how to submit comments or provide verbal comments, and additional information on the draft code.
- April 27, 2021: Puyallup City Council is anticipated to hold a second public hearing on pre-annexation zoning and consider second reading of an ordinance approving the proposed zoning and the annexation on April 27, 2021.
Associated Map Amendment Application
As part of the 2020 Comp. Plan Amendment cycle, the City of Puyallup received an application requesting to change the Land Use map designation of eleven (11) tax parcels, totaling approximately 14.59 acres in size, located within the potential annexation area. On December 8, 2020, Puyallup City Council approved the application, including the redesignation of four additional parcels, to the requested Light Industrial/Warehousing (LM/W) land use designation. For information on this associated application, please visit the 2020 Comp. Plan Amendments webpage; the application number is L-20-0001.
Questions or Comments
If you have any questions about the annexation process or would like to provide comments or input on this annexation, please contact Kendall Wals, Associate Planner at (253) 841-5462 or Email.